Looking for digital teaching plans and helps? Check out Lifeway’s Church Assistance Package.
Date: March 14, 2021
The Purpose of Humanity
The Point: God created us to serve and honor Him.
Get Into the Study
Use the following to introduce today’s session.
Ask Question #1: What’s your least favorite household responsibility?
A significant ice and snowstorm spread across much of North America from February 13-17 this year, bringing record-setting low temperatures and snowfall. Many people found themselves with new and unexpected household responsibilities: scraping ice off their cars and shoveling snow in driveways. In several areas, including Houston, boiling water became a new responsibility as water systems were damaged by the storms. People had to recognize and embrace these new responsibilities for their own well-being and the well-being of others.
God has designed us with purpose and responsibility. In this session, we will see how we can recognize and fulfill our God-given responsibility.
Get Into the Study [Option from Adult Leader Guide]
In advance, play a funny video of someone doing chores. Then ask Question #1.
Live It Out
As you conclude today’s session, share the following story.
The National Parks System just expanded, adding a new park: New River Gorge National Park. The first National Park in West Virginia, the park includes 70,000 acres of land along 53 miles of the New River Gorge. As a National Park, New River Gorge is now under federal protection to preserve and conserve landscapes and wildlife.
Ask: How does caring for and enjoying God’s creation serve and honor Him?
Conclude by encouraging group members to choose one of the Live It Out statements to pursue this week.
Nikki Wilbanks grew up in Tennessee before heading to California to study literature at Pepperdine University. After graduation, she enjoyed a decade-long career as a commercial real estate appraiser and investor. Having returned to Tennessee with her husband, she is now thrilled to be a stay-at-home mom and writer.
- What responsibilities are new to your current season of life?
- What company do you think of as one that lives out its purpose?
- Who are some people who represent the best of humanity?
- How do these verses shed light on the way God relates to us?
- How might you include science and nature when telling others about God?
- What aspect of creation often leads you to recognize the power and majesty of God?
- Since we are created in the image of God, how does that change how we view others?
- In what ways can you reflect the image of God to others this week?
- What does it mean that both male and female were created in the image of God?
- What are some ways we subdue the earth poorly?
- What are some healthy ways we subdue the earth?
- What are some ways you enjoy God’s good creation?
For Those in Your Group
Send the following link to your group members as either a teaser before the group meets or as a follow-up thought:
What Does It Mean to be Made in the Image of God?
Click here for a 20-minute podcast for both the group member and the leader.
Leave a Reply