Date: November 5, 2023
Is Jesus the Only Way to God?
The Point: Because Jesus is the Son of God, He is the only one who can bring us to God.
Get Into the Study
Share the following after discussing the opening question:
Sometimes people feel trapped when they’ve been doing the same thing for a long time, and they want to be able to choose something different.
Stranger Things first debuted on Netflix in 2016 and quickly gained a strong following. The sci-fi/thriller show has four seasons and plans to conclude with a fifth season in 2025. Actress Millie Bobby Brown, who plays Eleven, says that she’s ready for the show to end because she feels trapped by the role and is ready to work on other projects. She says that after seven years on the show, she feels like its time to “create [her] own message and live [her] own life.”
Actos often choose new and different roles even as others often look for a different job or career path. Many people think you can do the same thing with religion and spiritual matters. Culture’s idea is to “find the path that works for you.” But as we will see in this study, not all paths lead anywhere. In fact, only one path is valid.
Study the Bible
Share the following as you discuss Question 5.
It can be difficult to share your Christian faith, especially when you feel like you don’t know enough about Christianity or like you don’t fit the mold of a stereotypical Christian.
Tattoo artist and reality TV personality Katherine von Drachenberg, better known as Kat Von D renounced witchcraft in 2022. She threw away all books that “[didn’t] align with who [she is] and wants to be.” She said that she had been on a journey of discovery, and posted a video on October 4th showing her baptism as a Christian. Von D says that this is to show that she’s not ashamed of her newfound faith, though she isn’t ready to discuss it publicly often. She says that she doesn’t feel equipped to be the “poster child” for Christianity because she’s still learning, though she shares parts of her journey in order to help others like her.
It can be intimidating to share your faith, especially when faith can seem like such a divisive topic. But being unashamed with your story and open to continually learning more can make it easier to share without alienating those who don’t yet know Christ.
EXTRA was written by Emily Duncan, a Southern California native currently living in West Georgia with her husband, daughter, and two dogs. She became a Christian when she was sixteen at a youth retreat. Now, she’s a self-described homemaker and semi-professional baker who dreams of eventually finishing all the projects in her workroom.
- What is a career you considered or dreamed about, but ended up not wanting to pursue?
- Do you usually take one way or a variety of ways to get to locations you visit on a regular basis? Why is that?
- When have you thoroughly enjoyed experiencing another culture?
- What is a local road or short cut you always use?
- When have you been totally lost?
- When is being narrow-minded a good thing?
1 John 5:1-5
- What are reasons people say there are many ways to God?
- What’s the relationship between obedience and overcoming?
- What are the marks of a true child of God?
- How is a life lived in relationship with Christ an overcoming life?
- In your own words, how would you summarize the message of the gospel?
- How would you explain to someone that God’s commands aren’t burdens?
1 John 5:6-10
- How can we know what is true and real and trustworthy?
- How do we discern if we are listening to the Spirit of truth or our own desires?
- How do we know if something is truly God’s testimony?
- In your experience, what evidence supports the statement that Jesus is God?
1 John 5:11-13
- How does the fact that eternal life comes through Christ simplify who is saved?
- What’s the difference between living with the life Jesus gives, and without the life Jesus gives?
- How does eternal life include both life on earth and life after death?
- What does it mean to have life?
- How can we know that we have eternal life?
- Why don’t believers need to be ashamed of the exclusive claims of Christianity?
For Those in Your Group
Send the following link to your group members as either a teaser before the group meets or as a follow-up thought:
Click here for a 20-minute podcast for both the group member and the leader.