In the early days of my ministry, it was acknowledged that culture changes every three to five years. Whether we’re talking about fashion, music, slang, or mindsets, it’s more than just fads; it’s a gradual shift in the way we interact with the world around us.
Today, this shift doesn’t occur every three to five years; it’s more like every three to five months! Change has always been a constant, and it seems we can barely catch our breath from one shift before another one occurs. And young adults—the millennials and Gen Z population—are right in the thick of it. The older we get, the less likely we are to jump on the latest trend or shift, but young adults? They practically encourage it!
How do we reach the younger generation? For years, Bible Studies for Life has offered a young adult edition of our weekly studies. While what has been offered has been fine, Lifeway realized we could do more. And so, we are. Beginning with Fall 2023, we’re making a major shift in the way we equip churches to reach and disciple millennial and Gen Z young adults.
Welcome to the Daily Discipleship Guide.
If you’re familiar with Bible Studies for Life, you may know that we already offer the Daily Discipleship Guide, but it’s changing for the purpose of discipling young adults.
- Written by young adult leaders for young adults. We don’t just seek good writers; our writers are engaged in ministry to young adults. They know this generation because they intentionally invest time with them.
- Grounded in an intentional strategy for discipleship. Bible Studies for Life’s annual study plan is built on eight markers of a maturing disciple. (Check out The Christian Journey: Transforming Your Discipleship Ministry to learn about this strategy.)
- Engages young adults throughout the week. Young adults need something more than a “quick fix,” a fifty-minute Bible study to get them through the week. While the Daily Discipleship Guide begins the young adult’s journey with a group Bible study with other young adults, it doesn’t stop there. They continue engaging with God’s Word through five daily readings. This approach gets them thinking through the truths of the passage and its application to their lives throughout the week.
- Encourages relationship building. Young adults are looking for authentic relationships, so the Daily Discipleship Guide offers additional discussion points and questions for smaller groups of two to three to meet together outside the Bible study group. As they continue their discussion in this smaller setting, they encourage and challenge each other in their faith walk.
We’re genuinely excited about this shift and stronger approach to engaging with young adults. Let me offer a couple of notes to those who are already using Bible Studies for Life.
- If you use the current young adult resources, the Daily Discipleship Guide is a replacement. It’s not a supplement or option to the current young adult resources.
- If you’re already using the Daily Discipleship Guide and don’t consider yourself a young adult, you can still use it! In fact, you will find the five daily readings more robust.
Use the Daily Discipleship Guide for your ministry to millennials and Gen Z. Coupled with the time you invest in building relationships with young adults, the Daily Discipleship Guide will be a great asset in discipling this critical generation.
Lynn H. Pryor is the publishing team leader for Bible Studies for Life. A resident of Murfreesboro, Tennessee, Lynn serves as the discipleship director in his church. He offers a weekly blog tied to these studies at lynnhpryor.com.