Looking for digital teaching plans and helps? Check out Lifeway’s Church Assistance Package.
Date: September 27, 2020
The Point: Respect human life as God does.
Get Into the Study
Use the following illustration as an optional introduction to this session.
Lauren Daigle’s song “You Say” broke a Billboard record this week: it’s been No. 1 for 100 weeks. For perspective, Hillsong’s “Oceans (Where Feet May Fall)” held the spot for 61 weeks. No stranger to topping the charts, “You Say” was the first top Christian song to also reach No. 1 on the Adult Contemporary chart. To date, the song has been streamed 605.7 million times and sold 929,000 downloads.
The song’s lyrics powerfully declare a worth and identity found in Christ. “You Say” centers on what Jesus says about us, even when our own assessments are very different.
“You say I am loved when I can’t feel a thing
You say I am strong when I think I am weak
And you say I am held when I am falling short
When I don’t belong, oh, you say I am yours.”
As image-bearers of God, we have worth and value. We are His and we are loved. In today’s session, we’re studying God’s command to honor human life. In order to do this, we first have to recognize God as our Creator. Every human life bears the stamp of God, and we are to honor each person because of that truth.
Bring your group’s attention to The Point of this session: Respect life as God does.
Get Into the Study [Additional Option for the Daily Discipleship Guide]
In advance, print an image of several first place ribbons. As your group arrives, pay attention to who arrived first, the first person who showed up with their Bible study book, and the person who has the longest drive to your gathering space. Begin your group time by honoring a few people with an award. If possible, bring snacks to make this feel like a celebration. Click here for a ready-to-print ribbon.
This idea supports the teaching plan found in the Daily Discipleship Guide.
Get Into the Study [Additional Option for Adult Leader Guide]
In advance, play a video clip that shows the value of
human life. You may play this clip before or after reading “The Point.”
Study the Bible
Use the following story in your study of Exodus 20:13.
After decades of Christian prayer, fasting, protesting, and more prayer, abortions are becoming more difficult to get in the United States. State-by-state, new laws are being passed to prevent late-term abortion, or to put other factors in place that might discourage the choice to terminate pregnancy. A recent article in the Washington Post noted recently, “People who support abortion rights are waiting for a big announcement that Roe is gone. That moment may never come, but in the end, it may not matter. While we wait to learn Roe’s official fate, the right to abortion may have functionally disappeared.”
A few decades ago—even a few years ago—it may have seemed like reversing Roe vs. Wade would be an impossibility. But changes have been taking place slowly and steadily. This is good news in the midst of so much bad news. It is God at work. And it is a reminder to all of us to keep fighting the good fight to protect the sanctity of all lives.
Ashley Emmert is a freelance writer and full-time mama from Chicago, where she lives with her husband and two busy little boys.
Study the Bible [Additional Option for Advanced Bible Study Teacher Guide]
Display logos of these social media platforms to use with the Option Idea (p. 22).
- MySpace – https://everything-pr.com/new-myspace-logo/
- FaceBook – https://worldvectorlogo.com/logo/facebook-icon-white
- YouTube – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Logo_of_YouTube_(2015-2017).svg
- Twitter – https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/3698239/logo_sq_twitter_twitter_logo_icon
- SnapChat – https://www.bark.us/blog/snapchat-logo/
- Vine – https://seeklogo.com/vector-logo/299124/vine
- What’s the most enjoyable or interesting birthday celebration you’ve attended?
- How have you seen someone being celebrated or valued recently?
- What are some ways we determine something’s value?
- What are the consequences for a society when we don’t value human life?
- Why should God’s view of human life inform ours?
- What are some ways our society’s view of “murder” would differ from the biblical view?
1 Samuel 26:7-11
- How can trusting in God’s justice help us follow God’s command to honor life?
- How does David reflect the heart of God in this passage?
- What sometimes causes us to want to take matters into our own hands?
1 Samuel 26:22-25
- What are the benefits of valuing every life regardless of a person’s disabilities or limitations?
- What are some ways our group can defend the defenseless?
- Where do you see our culture failing to lift up life as valuable?
For Those in Your Group
Send the following link to your group members as either a teaser before the group meets or as a follow-up thought:
How to Honor the Lives of Others
Click here for a 20-minute podcast for both the group member and the leader.
This article complements the study. Share this link with your group members.
- HomeLife – The Least of These
Tips for Leading Bible Study Groups
Podcast (adultsleadertraining): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS
Ramona Betz says
Thanks your podcasts are very helpful.
Samuel DeHaas says
All the additional materials are great help in preparing for class. Thanks so much!