Looking for digital teaching plans and helps? Check out Lifeway’s Church Assistance Package.
Date: December 20, 2020
The Point: We can experience great joy because Jesus saves.
Get Into the Study
Use the following to introduce today’s session.
SiriusXM will have 17 different holiday music channels to enjoy this Christmas season, including one Hanukkah station and one New Year’s channel. Fourteen of the Christmas stations started pumping out the music on October 29th, before Halloween was even over.
Ask: When do you start listening to Christmas music? When do you stop?
Christmas music is joyous because Christmas is a joyous time. However, joy that is tied to fleeting things is fleeting. But joy that is tied to Jesus lasts forever. We can experience great joy because Jesus saves.
Study the Bible (Option from the Senior Adult Leader Guide)
Say, “The birth of Jesus is cause for great joy.” Lead the group to sing “Good Christian Men, Rejoice” or read the words of the verses out loud to the group. Connect the words of the hymn to the biblical truth. For a copy of the word, click here.
Use the following illustration as you conclude today’s session.
Remember when Black Friday sales were just on Friday? Then retailers started opening the stores up on Thursday night. Now we are having Black Friday all month long with new “Black Friday” deals dropping daily or weekly at stores like Target, Home Depot, and Best Buy in order to capitalize on holiday gift shopping.
Gift giving is a wonderful opportunity to show love. We are excited when a gift strikes just the right chord with someone, and we can enjoy receiving a thoughtful gift. But the greatest gift anyone could ever receive is God’s gift of salvation. Let’s proclaim the joy we have because of this gift and look for opportunities to share this gift with others.
Nikki Wilbanks grew up in Tennessee before heading to California to study literature at Pepperdine University. After graduation, she enjoyed a decade-long career as a commercial real estate appraiser and investor. Having returned to Tennessee with her husband, she is now thrilled to be a stay-at-home mom, writer, and Bible study teacher.
- What do you love most about the way your family celebrates Christmas?
- What are some unique ways you’ve seen Jesus’ birthday celebrated?
- Which Christmas activity brings the biggest smile to your face?
- How do believers today express joy during their daily lives?
- What aspects of God give you the greatest joy? Why?
- What emotions do you experience when you read these verses? Why?
- How can believers incorporate the concept of salvation into their celebration of Christmas?
- Which parts of the Christmas story do you especially enjoy? Why?
- How did Jesus bring the hope of salvation with Him when He was born?
- Although we’re not angels, how could we express joy for God’s great gift of Jesus?
- What does God’s decision to give us a Savior tell us about God?
- What does God’s decision to give us a Savior tell us about ourselves?
For Those in Your Group
Send the following link to your group members as either a teaser before the group meets or as a follow-up thought:
Click here for a 20-minute podcast for both the group member and the leader.
This article complements the study. Share this link with your group members.
- Mature Living – Are You Known for Joy?