Looking for digital teaching plans and helps? Check out Lifeway’s Church Assistance Package.
Date: June 20, 2021
Uncompromising with Truth
The Point: When it comes to biblical truth about Christ, there is no room for compromise.
Get Into the Study
Use the following to introduce today’s session.
The BBC has issued an apology after an investigation revealed that Martin Bashir used falsified documents and deceit to secure his 1995 interview with Princess Diana. Although the interview occurred over 25 years ago, the compromise in ethics and standards is causing repercussions today. The U.K. home secretary, Priti Patel, said the BBC’s reputation has been “highly damaged.”
Compromise can help us avoid conflicts, but there are times when we cannot compromise. Today we will study why Jesus rebuked the church at Pergamum for compromising.
When it comes to Biblical truth about Christ, there is no room for compromise.
Get Into the Study [Option from Adult Leader Guide]
In advance, play a video of a product that offers no compromise. Then ask Question #1.
Live It Out
Use the following to conclude today’s session.
People love their pets. And people love to love on their pets. You’ve probably seen a child trying to grab hold of a cat for a hug. You may have seen someone sharing an ice cream cone with a dog. But now the CDC has issued a new warning about pets: don’t kiss your chickens. The CDC has linked a recent salmonella outbreak to backyard poultry. The truth is that even if they look healthy and clean, ducks and chickens can carry and spread salmonella. So even though you may not want to hear it, listen to the CDC and “don’t kiss or snuggle backyard poultry,” no matter how much your chicken likes to cuddle.
People don’t always want to hear the truth, but that doesn’t change the fact that they need to. We know the truth about Christ and should be careful not to compromise this truth. The consequences of false teaching are infinitely worse than a stomach illness. As believers, we should always seek to speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15).
Nikki Wilbanks wrote these Leader Extras. She grew up in Tennessee before heading to California to study literature at Pepperdine University. After graduation, Nikki enjoyed a decade-long career as a commercial real estate appraiser and investor. Having returned to Tennessee with her husband, she is now thrilled to be a stay-at-home mom and writer.
- When have you really felt like a fish out of water?
- When has compromise helped you avoid conflict?
- What’s one of the silliest conspiracy theories you’ve heard?
- What challenges do we experience in our culture in trying to live for Christ?
- What essential truths about Christ need to be defended in your community?
- What are some ways we hold onto the name of Jesus?
- When have you seen a compromise on something biblical lead to harm?
- How can we determine whether a teaching or teacher is false?
- How does false teaching become a problem in the church?
- How are we to respond when people (or our overall culture) reject God’s truth?
- How do we ensure that our attitudes and actions reflect truth?
- What are some ways people compromise their beliefs as Christ-followers?
For Those in Your Group
Send the following link to your group members as either a teaser before the group meets or as a follow-up thought:
What Does Love Look Like in a World of Compromise?
Click here for a 20-minute podcast for both the group member and the leader.
Podcast (adultsleadertraining): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS
Leave a Reply