Looking for digital teaching plans and helps? Check out Lifeway’s Church Assistance Package.
Date: April 11, 2021
The Work of the Holy Spirit
The Point: The Holy Spirit magnifies the work of Jesus.
Get Into the Study
Use the following to introduce today’s session.
March Madness is over. The NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament wrapped up on April 5. The tournament highlights and celebrates the best of college basketball for the year. However due to the single-elimination aspect of the tournament, sometimes the best team doesn’t even get to play in the championship game.
Ask: “Do you think the winning team this year was worthy of celebration? Why?” Allow time for responses, then ask, “What are some ways fans draw attention to their favorite teams during the tournament and celebrate wins?”
In this session, we look at the work of the Holy Spirit, who draws attention to and celebrates the work of Jesus. We will see how the Holy Spirit empowers us to magnify Jesus.
Get Into the Study [Option from Adult Leader Guide]
In advance, play a brief video of a parade being celebrated. Then ask Question #1.
As you conclude today’s session, share the following story.
A $35 yard sale find has sold at a Sotheby’s auction for over $700,000. The 15th century bowl from China was discovered by an antiques enthusiast at a yard sale in Connecticut. The small white bowl is painted with cobalt blue flowers and is considered to be one of only seven bowls of its type known to exist today. Most of the other bowls are in museums and none of the others are in the United States. Apparently, the person selling the bowl at the yard sale didn’t recognize the worth of what he or she had.
Ask: “What are some ways that Christians have undervalued the worth of the Holy Spirit in their lives?”
As you recognize the worth of what you have in the Holy Spirit, choose one of the Live It Out statements for the upcoming week.
Nikki Wilbanks wrote these Leader Extras. She grew up in Tennessee before heading to California to study literature at Pepperdine University. After graduation, she enjoyed a decade-long career as a commercial real estate appraiser and investor. Having returned to Tennessee with her husband, she is now thrilled to be a stay-at-home mom and writer.
Live It Out [Option from Adult Leader Guide]
Before your closing prayer, play a song about the Holy Spirit and invite group members to reflect on what He means to us.
- Which of the world’s unsolved mysteries intrigues you most?
- Would you rather watch a parade or be in a parade? Why?
- What’s the best way to get your attention?
- How does the Spirit help us testify about Jesus?
- What are some ways the Holy Spirit empowers us?
- How does the Spirit draw attention to and magnify Jesus in this world?
- When has the Holy Spirit counseled you?
- How would you describe the Holy Spirit’s work in the world?
- Why is it a positive thing to be convicted of your sin?
- What have you come to appreciate about both Jesus and the Holy Spirit from this passage?
- How has the Holy Spirit glorified Jesus in your life?
- According to these verses, what is the role of the Holy Spirit?
For Those in Your Group
Send the following link to your group members as either a teaser before the group meets or as a follow-up thought:
Click here for a 20-minute podcast for both the group member and the leader.
This article complements the study. Share this link with your group members.
Mature Living – What Is That TUG Telling You?