Looking for digital teaching plans and helps? Check out Lifeway’s Church Assistance Package.
Date: March 7, 2021March 7
The Nature of God
The Point: God has revealed Himself to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
Get Into the Study
Use the following to introduce today’s session.
One of the more popular Superbowl commercials this year was for the Cadillac LYRIQ.
Share the video or invite a group member to describe the ad.
Automobile technology has changed drastically since Edward Scissorhands was released in 1990. Just when we think we have finally grasped the workings of something, a new version comes along that complicates our understanding. There was a time when many people handled their own routine car maintenance, working on cars in their driveway. But as cars have increased in complexity, more specialized knowledge is required for repairs and maintenance. As self-driving cars become more readily available, fewer people will fully understand the inner workings of their own automobiles. But it would be foolish to shun new technology just because we don’t completely comprehend the details.
Today we will study the Trinity. While we cannot fully understand the complex doctrine of the Trinity, we can still trust the beautiful truth of God as three persons in one essence.
Get Into the Study [Option from Adult Leader Guide]
In advance, play a video of someone accomplishing a difficult task. Then ask Question #1.
As you conclude today’s session, share the following images, which are 2021 Underwater Photographer of the Year winners.
Highlight the fact that underwater photography reveals aspects of our world that we rarely see. Ask, “What are some things these photographs reveal or highlight about nature?” Allow time for discussion. Then, emphasize that in John 14, God has revealed Himself to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. A clear understanding of the Trinity teaches us about the nature and character of God.
Nikki Wilbanks grew up in Tennessee before heading to California to study literature at Pepperdine University. After graduation, she enjoyed a decade-long career as a commercial real estate appraiser and investor. Having returned to Tennessee with her husband, she is now thrilled to be a stay-at-home mom and writer.
- When has being in the presence of something caused you to feel really small?
- What’s something you’ve always struggled to understand?
- When was the last time you were left absolutely awestruck?
- How does Jesus uniquely reveal God the Father to humanity?
- How do you relate to Jesus as both man and God?
- What led you to belief in Jesus?
- What are some ways the Holy Spirit can rightly be called “the Spirit of Truth”?
- When has the Holy Spirit been a Counselor to you?
- Why is it dangerous for Christians to ignore, resist, or downplay the Holy Spirit?
- How will this essential Christian truth make a difference for our group going forward?
- What are some ways the Holy Spirit has used our group to accomplish His work?
- Why do we need the Holy Spirit’s help?
For Those in Your Group
Send the following link to your group members as either a teaser before the group meets or as a follow-up thought:
Click here for a 20-minute podcast for both the group member and the leader.
NOTE: Click here to read about the event mentioned in this podcast with Robby Gallaty.